What I've Been Up To

Variety is the basis of a storyteller's life. I find myself involved in projects of all kinds, both expected and unexpected, familiar and strange new territory.

Here's a sample of what I've been doing lately:

The combination of stories and ballads proved its power again this week when Fred Powers presented stories and I sang ballads about coal mining. We hope to present this program more often in the future so stay tuned.

An ongoing project with its culmination looming is the Ripley, WV Do You Believe? Ghost Walk. I have been researching and writing stories, have the route planned and have been working with the local theater group, the Convention and Visitors Bureau, Main Street Ripley and others to get this first-time event off to a good start. The stories are almost ready, the publicity is beginning, and I'm excited!

This weekend I'll be telling tales for Museum Day at the Ohio River Museum in Marietta, OH. I have performed there before, telling river tales for the Inland Waterways Festival, but this is a new event and should be a lot of fun. Ohio friends, come on out and have a listen!

Jeff Seager and I are planning our annual Here We Come A-Caroling! program for house concerts in the DC area. We still have dates available, so contact me if you're interested.

More ghost stories--for a small town festival, a college, an art center and a few libraries. Tis certainly the season! October is looking pretty busy for this storyteller, as it is also the month for the West Virginia Storytelling Festival at Jackson's Mill. Check my performance schedule in the tabs above to see if I'll be anywhere near you.

Jo Ann Dadisman and I have been putting the final touches on organizing and now promoting a workshop on telling tales from the Grimm Brothers to be presented by Susan Gordon on November 15. We will also have a concert on November 14 at 7pm, featuring Susan, Jo Ann, me and performance poet Kirk Judd. Details coming soon!

That's just a taste of what's on my plate in the upcoming months. There's much more--so much spice for the storyteller's life.